Carbon mitigation and credit generation
Earth Systems has the project management experience to provide carbon consulting services for various national and international land use and forestry carbon schemes such as the Kyoto Protocol’s Clean Development Mechanism, Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD), Australia’s Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) and other voluntary carbon schemes. We have experience with afforestation / reforestation; avoided deforestation; and land management projects in a number of different countries, including developing and least development countries. We also have experience with the production of biochar and soil carbon sequestration.
Earth Systems can help market and sell carbon credits in the international and domestic carbon credit markets – to date we have facilitated the sale of over 700,000 carbon credits in international markets.
Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI)
Earth Systems has the capacity to assist in the assessment of Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI) opportunities, and provide support to projects throughout the CFI approval cycle. We have strong understanding of the Australian policy framework for carbon initiatives and experience in assisting developers through the project cycle for international carbon schemes, such as the Kyoto Protocols Clean Development Mechanism.
The CFI is a carbon offsets scheme that has been established by the Australian Government to provide new economic opportunities for farmers, forest growers and landholders, while at the same time reducing carbon emissions. Through the CFI, farmers, forest growers and landholders can earn carbon credits by storing carbon or reducing greenhouse gas emission on the land. The CFI commenced on the 1st of January 2012, and is now operational.
Clean Development Mechanism (CDM)
Earth Systems has the expertise and international presence to guide companies throughout the CDM project cycle – from the planning phase through to registration, validation and monitoring. We have extensive experience working with Designated National Authorities (DNAs) and liaising with Designated Operation Entities (DOEs).
Earth Systems is also familiar with international carbon markets. We can liaise with potential buyers and traders to market and sell Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) and Verified Emission Reductions (VERs).
Services available from Earth Systems include:
- Planning and developing Project Design Documents for approval under CDM, REDD, CFI and other schemes;
- Assistance through all stages of the carbon project cycle – from planning to submission of application, validation and monitoring;
- GIS and spatial analysis and high resolution mapping of land-use and forest types;
- Strong technical expertise in the measurement and calculation of GHG emission reductions for land use and forestry carbon projects, including data analysis and calculation of carbon stocks;
- Development of land-use and forestry carbon modelling frameworks to assess project carbon stocks under different management scenarios; and
- Facilitation and sale of carbon credits in the international carbon market.
Experience and Recent Projects
Our experience relevant to land use and forest carbon schemes includes:
- Oil Search Limited Flare and Vent Gas Conservation CDM Project in Papua New Guinea – REGISTERED
- Xeset 2 (76MW) Hydropower CDM Project in Lao PDR – REGISTERED
- Pilot Project for Development of Remote Sensing Survey Method for Identification of Potential Degraded Forestland Area for Conversion in Lao PDR.
- Concept Paper for the establishment of a REDD Demonstration site, in two national parks in South East Asia.
- Conducting a market validation assessment for soil carbon sequestration through biochar production.
- Multiple environmental and social impact assessments in the Asia Pacific and African regions.
- Social impact assessments in forestry including a plantation in South East Asia.
- Successful track record of CDM projects including hydropower in Lao PDR and Sri Lanka, oil and gas flare reduction in PNG, and water purification in Bangladesh.